The best way to get your patio umbrella super clean!
A clean patio umbrella is a pleasure to sit underneath and enjoy a family lunch. Especially on a sunny day where a bit of shade is appreciated. Unfortunately, when the spring-cleaning urge strikes, patio umbrellas are rarely given a thought. Since a quality outdoor umbrella is a long-term investment, it deserves regular care. Patio umbrella frames are made from materials such as wood, fiberglass, aluminum and stainless steel. Each material has specific care instructions to maintain its appearance and durability. The same goes for the fabric used for patio umbrella canopies. Canvas, acrylic and polyester are the most popular fabrics and the best way to clean a patio umbrella is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. When you own a Poggesi umbrella, you have a product of the highest quality. It is designed with 100% acrylic weather-resistant awning grade canvas from Sunbrella®. The powder-coated aluminum structure, stainless-steel cables and bolts are corrosion-resistant, ensuring durability. The guidelines for cleaning a Poggesi umbrella can be used on outdoor umbrellas made from similar materials and fabrics. So, what is the best way to clean a Poggesi patio umbrella?
How Often to Clean Outdoor UmbrellasQuality fabrics are designed to be stain and mildew resistant while repelling moisture. Used outdoors, airborne soil, bird droppings and tree debris fall onto the canvas of patio umbrellas. To give the best care to your outdoor umbrella, spray it off monthly with clean water. It prevents dirt and other debris from becoming too deeply embedded in the canopy fabric. Wipe the pole and frame immediately with a soft cloth to prevent too much moisture from entering the structure. It is advisable to give your patio umbrella a thorough cleaning every two to three years unless there is a stain that needs immediate attention.
How to Clean a Patio UmbrellaWe sourced advice from Sunbrella on the steps to take for a clean patio umbrella, specifically the canopy fabric. Clean the fabric while still on the awning frame as follows:
- Brush off loose dirt with a soft bristle brush and hose it down with cold water.
- Prepare a cleaning solution of mild soap such as Woolite or Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water.
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean the canvas.
- Allow the cleaning solution to soak into the fabric for at least ten minutes.
- Rinse it thoroughly until all the soap residue is removed.
- Let it air dry. According to Sunbrella, the fabric will airdry very quickly.
How to Remove Mildew and Tree Sap Stains from an UmbrellaSunbrella states that their fabrics do not promote mildew growth. But it may grow on dirt or other substance that permeates the fabric. Use a bleach solution to remove mildew and tree sap stains. Do the following:
- Prepare a solution of one cup chlorine bleach and a quarter cup of mild soap per gallon of clean lukewarm water.
- Clean the fabric with a soft bristle brush.
- If your fabric has a vinyl graphic, brush from the graphics out, away from its edge.
- Allow the mixture to soak into the fabric for up to 15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water until all the bleach and soap residue is removed.
- Let the patio umbrella air dry.
- If necessary, repeat the steps.